Childhood Nostalgia

The Marlowe Community Centre is a forum for general discussion of all sorts, from NationStates, to Real-Life Politics, to our own lives, and everything in between.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Childhood Nostalgia

We had 5 channels, but the only one I was allowed to watch on a regular basis was PBS. Now we have 6 main channels, but they're split into 10-15 subchannels.

And I remember getting internet - I was in high school, and it was on our primary phone line. (Still is, in fact. No using the internet if somebody might call.)

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Truth be told, although I get a few hundred channels, if everything except ESPN, the Food Network, Comedy Central and PBS Sprout (for my kids) disappeared, it would be weeks before I noticed.

The Internet is such a useful tool; I'd have to be pretty poor not to plunk down the $50 a month for broadband.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:31 pm

*CAL remembers life before the internet and OPACs.*

We always had more than 5 channels though, but that might just be because we live very close to the border..

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Pro tip, Skizz: Just because you're older than most around here, don't assume everyone else just learned how to walk. :P

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:01 pm

I think Carra's the only one older than Skizzy, actually..not sure.

I had ~18 channels when I was little (now have 500+ that I don't use..ever..), raised with internet. :P

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:04 pm

We didn't get the internet until we got off the party line. Dial-up just wouldn't work with it.
Truth is to Logic as a Forehead is to a Fez.

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:15 am

Since this is on topic. I found a website that plays old Toonami reruns from Cartoon Network back in it's glory days. I grew up watching these cartoons and various animes they played such as Dragon Ball Z or Samurai Jack.
Former Delegate of Osiris
Twin of Harmoneia
Proud Dalist, Dalism Worshiper

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:14 am

Zaolat wrote:Since this is on topic. I found a website that plays old Toonami reruns from Cartoon Network back in it's glory days. I grew up watching these cartoons and various animes they played such as Dragon Ball Z or Samurai Jack.

Yeah the good old days...(for me anyways)

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Hermione wrote:We had 5 channels, but the only one I was allowed to watch on a regular basis was PBS. Now we have 6 main channels, but they're split into 10-15 subchannels.

And I remember getting internet - I was in high school, and it was on our primary phone line. (Still is, in fact. No using the internet if somebody might call.)

I only ever had 4 (because they never bothered rolling out channel 5 by me as they started doing freeview before they even got to us so they didn't bother). And I'm still only on about 20 - cable freeview, and the main reason we're not on normal freeview is because our house doesn't -actually have- an aerial because we're in a big ditch and it'd need to be on a big pole.

And I still remember watching loads and loads of old cartoon network cartoons, because it was pretty much the only thing we had that me and my sister could agree to watch without arguing :P

I also very vaguely remember when we first got dial-up, and only being able to go on for about half an hour a day. It's quite sad that the availability of broadband speeds we used to get about 8 years ago haven't improved in the slightest on my local phone lines - on non-cable I could get 8Meg on a very very good day, average about 4. That's about what I had then. Now on cable because it's available at my new(ish) house, but still not available at my old village because they see the cost of running the cable up the hill not worth it for the demand they'd get.

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Zaolat wrote:Since this is on topic. I found a website that plays old Toonami reruns from Cartoon Network back in it's glory days. I grew up watching these cartoons and various animes they played such as Dragon Ball Z or Samurai Jack.

I know people who would scream at you because you called Samurai Jack Anime.
PreviousNext

Return to Marlowe Community Centre