Childhood Nostalgia

The Marlowe Community Centre is a forum for general discussion of all sorts, from NationStates, to Real-Life Politics, to our own lives, and everything in between.

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Childhood Nostalgia

*CAL would be one of them*

It's not because the main character is a samurai that it's an anime.

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Tyranna wrote:I know people who would scream at you because you called Samurai Jack Anime.

Yes I do too. But if you know anything about where the word came from you would find it ironic as I do. People outside of Japan like us use anime to mainly describe Japanese animated cartoons (and possibly cartoons from other Asian country depending on the person). Yet in Japan where we got the word from it is used to describe basically any animated cartoon. So while the Japanese would probably call it anime fanboys and fangirls from outside Japan that clam to know everything about anime (probably who you are talking about) would not call it anime.

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Orc Kingdom wrote:
Tyranna wrote:I know people who would scream at you because you called Samurai Jack Anime.

Yes I do too. But if you know anything about where the word came from you would find it ironic as I do. People outside of Japan like us use anime to mainly describe Japanese animated cartoons (and possibly cartoons from other Asian country depending on the person). Yet in Japan where we got the word from it is used to describe basically any animated cartoon. So while the Japanese would probably call it anime fanboys and fangirls from outside Japan that clam to know everything about anime (probably who you are talking about) would not call it anime.

I don't mind so much as using Anime to refer to a cartoon drawn in a certain style. However, I take issue with the idea that ALL ANIME MUST BE JAPANESE!
I'd call Avatar Anime, despite the fact it's American. If only to be able to say I watch Anime other than Pokemon.

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:56 am

According to Wikipedia:
English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan"

It doesn't matter what the word used to mean/means in Japan.

Gay technically still means happy or bright, but people will still look at you weirdly if you use it in that meaning.

Samurai Jack is American and has none of the elements associated with Japanese animation, don't call it anime.

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:22 am

erm Ty, I think I wasn't clear with that, I don't consider it anime. I did say Cartoons & Anime, just didn't specify a correct order for it. :P

Also CAL, wikipedia is a horrible source. I while as stated above see [Samurai Jack] as not anime, doesn't mean it cannot be. For proofs, send me a written letter, video, etc from a Japanese animation expert, linguist expert, or etc. Also how would the terms origination not matter? Just because other people say different?
Former Delegate of Osiris
Twin of Harmoneia
Proud Dalist, Dalism Worshiper

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:01 am

Charlotte Abigail Lux wrote:According to Wikipedia:
English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan"

It doesn't matter what the word used to mean/means in Japan.

Gay technically still means happy or bright, but people will still look at you weirdly if you use it in that meaning.

Samurai Jack is American and has none of the elements associated with Japanese animation, don't call it anime.

Note I never said it was. I was saying how ironic it is to me that people make such a big deal out of it when the Japanese themselves wouldn't because to them it is anime.

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Zaolat wrote:wikipedia is a horrible source.

Except it isn't, actually. The amount of incorrect data on Wikipedia is vastly outnumbered by the amount of correct data. As long as you check the sources, Wikipedia is a very reliable source of information.

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Tyranna wrote:
Zaolat wrote:wikipedia is a horrible source.

Except it isn't, actually. The amount of incorrect data on Wikipedia is vastly outnumbered by the amount of correct data. As long as you check the sources, Wikipedia is a very reliable source of information.

Details :P
Former Delegate of Osiris
Twin of Harmoneia
Proud Dalist, Dalism Worshiper

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:11 pm

I basically use wikipedia for the handy list of sources which say whatever I want to say. :P

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:47 am

I use Wiki to find other sources I actually can use. :P

Or for homework that doesn't matter.
Previous

Return to Marlowe Community Centre