[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Library • View topic - Initial List - First Cuts - First Pairings

Initial List - First Cuts - First Pairings

Will your favourite author win out against the others?

Great Librarian

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:02 am

Initial List - First Cuts - First Pairings

1. George R. R. Martin
2. J.K. Rowling

4. Neil Gaiman
5. Douglas Adams
6. Terry Pratchett
7. Robin Hobb
8. J.R.R. Tolkien
9. Leo Tolstoy
10. Neal Stephenson
11. David Eddings
12. Anne McCaffrey
13. George Orwell
14. John Steinbeck
15. Ellen Hopkins
16. C. S. Lewis
17. Dorothy L. Sayers
18. James Heriot
19. Timothy Zahn
20. James Patterson
21. Orson Scott Card

And that's the list! Now we have to get down to 16, but 5 people is a lot just cut.. so I'm going to cut one (randomly, of course) to bring us to 20, and then run some preliminaries to get us down to 16, and then we'll get the big'ol chart out.

The poor eliminated player is... [drumroll]

#3 Isaac Asimov. The Great Sci-Fi Titan falls with nary a struggle. I have now used a random sequence generator to put these 20 names in a random order. The bottom 8 will have to fight a preliminary round (eliminating four, and leaving us with 16).

1. James Patterson
2. Timothy Zahn
3. James Heriot
4. Anne McCaffrey
5. Neal Stephenson
6. Robin Hobb
7. George Orwell
8. George R. R. Martin
9. J.R.R. Tolkien
10. Leo Tolstoy
11. John Steinbeck
12. David Eddings
--- Above the Line? Safe for now. Below the line? Not so much. ---
13. J.K. Rowling
14. Orson Scott Card
15. C. S. Lewis
16. Neil Gaiman
17. Terry Pratchett
18. Dorothy L. Sayers
19. Ellen Hopkins
20. Douglas Adams

Now to pair off our bottom 8 for the preliminary round... [drumroll]

Pairing 1
Terry Pratchett vs. Dorothy L. Sayers

Pairing 2
C. S. Lewis vs. Douglas Adams

Pairing 3
J. K. Rowling vs. Neil Gaiman

Pairing 4
Ellen Hopkins vs. Orson Scott Card

Time for me to get things rolling!

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:38 am

Re: Initial List - First Cuts - First Pairings

You know, you could have just left Asimov in and had 5 preliminary matchups. We could clearly use some more sci-fi and fantasy authors. :P

Great Librarian

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Great Librarian

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:34 am

What do you mean, too late? You can still open another poll.

Also, sci-fi is NOT fantasy. I'm pretty sick of people saying they're 'the same or similar'.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:55 am

"Soft" sci-fi and fantasy are often hard to tell apart. They can tell the same stories, except one uses science and one uses magic. There are entire stories where you think you are reading one until the very end, at which point you realise it is the other. So yes, they are different genres, but they are closely related - more closely related than hard and soft sci-fi. That's the reason the term "Speculative Fiction" exists.

(I like them both though I am a 2x Co-Chair of my schools sci-fi society, past board member of our annual sci-fi convention, and I took a class on sci-fi.)

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Purely because I'm interested in your opinion: what genre is Star Wars?

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:25 pm

My first instinct was that Star Wars is soft sci-fi. Then I remembered the Force. I'm going with sci-fi because space is such a classic sci-fi setting, and because the majority of the novums involved are scientific. So, I'll call it sci-fi with elements of fantasy.

(Star Trek on the other hand is solidly sci-fi. There is no magic, only science and science we don't understand. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke)

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:40 pm

To me, Star Wars is fantasy. I have always seen science-fiction as something that tells the story of our Earth as it could be, while fantasy would be completely impossible (because, as you said, of magic, or because there is no Earth).
I see sci-fi as 'tales of the improbable' while fantasy are 'tales of the impossible'.

Either way, my original point stands. There's no way it's 'too late' for another poll and give everyone's candidates a decent chance.
Next

Return to Battle of the Authors!