[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Library • View topic - MTG: Oliver versus Hermione

MTG: Oliver versus Hermione

A home for Magic the Gathering play.

Moderator: Tyranna

Great Librarian

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: MTG: Oliver versus Hermione

Great Librarian

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:36 pm

I draw, play a plains, end my turn. :flail:

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Oliver
Life: 20
Deck: 52
Hand: 1
Battlefield:
Plains x7
Graveyard:

Hermione
Life: 20
Deck: 37
Hand: 2
Battlefield:
with
Mountain x4
Graveyard:

Exiled:

Mountain
Mountain
Mountain
Mountain

Hermione's turn.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Instead of blasting Oliver again, I start my turn.

I draw, then play a Mountain.

Time to mix things up. :)

I attack. Assuming no response from Oliver, during my second main phase I put three Arc-Slogger activations (targeting Oliver) on the stack.
The first should wipe out my Arc-Slogger, and the other two should actually hit him. :viking:

Great Librarian

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:51 pm

You just.. exiled 30 cards to hit me for four damage? :blink:

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:52 pm

And to get rid of that Pariah, yes. Don't worry, I still have a plan. :D

Great Librarian

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm... not entirely sure that move has the effect you desired. The way I see it, either Arc-Slogger goes to the graveyard when the entire stack is resolved (and thus takes all the damage, leaving him at -5 before he dies), or killing Arc-Slogger removes his abilities from the stack (but not their cost).

If Oli is fine with it, I'd be inclined to let you reconsider your turn, rather than exile 30 cards for what ends up having a different effect than you thought it'd be.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm looking up now to see whether my hunch is correct, though.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:02 pm

It should definitely work as I said it.

I have Arc-Slogger (5 toughness, 4 damage already on it from combat)
Since the abilities can be used at instant speed, I put one on the stack by paying the cost.
Before it resolves, I activate it two more times.
Now there are 3 abilities on the stack. Both players pass priority, and the last one resolves.
Pariah redirects the damage to Arc-Slogger, which is sent to the graveyard due to lethal damage.
There are still two copies of the ability on the stack. They don't disappear once Arc-Slogger dies.
They resolve, and deal 4 damage to Oliver.

Give me a minute, and I can find the relevant rule.
PreviousNext

Return to Planeswalker Stadium