Magic: The Gathering. On a forum

A home for Magic the Gathering play.

Moderator: Tyranna

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Magic: The Gathering. On a forum

Ok, I had a whole gigantic post lined up here explaining how it would work, but then my computer crashed and I lost it all, so I'll just ask briefly: Is anyone interested in playing Magic: the Gathering on these forums? If enough (more than one) people show interest, I'll retype the whole blasted thing. :P

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Re: Magic: The Gathering. On a forum

I am interested. By interested I mean interested not "I will play no matter what". I used to play Magic a long time ago. Something like 5+ years ago(not counting the video games I have somewhat tried). Depending on how you plan on doing it I might play.

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:50 am

CAL tries to remember when she last played Magic: The Gathering.

I think it's been 10 years.

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:29 am

Charlotte Abigail Lux wrote:CAL tries to remember when she last played Magic: The Gathering.

I think it's been 10 years.

Yeah note I was guessing when I said 5+ years because I really can't remember the last time I played. It was somewhere back around when I was still in boy scouts (they were the ones that got me into it) but thats all I remember and I didn't find it worth it to count back to that.

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

Is this like Mental Magic? Because that is a really silly form of M:tG. I occasionally play Magic in real life, and would be willing to try it here.

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:40 am

I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds pretty interesting..

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:55 am

Sorry for the delay. I'd like to say I've been busy yesterday, but the real reason is Skyrim.

Anyway, here are the rules and this is the first in a series of videos explaining how the game works.

What I need from prospective players is a PMed list with links to all the cards in your deck. The links preferably lead to the cards' Gatherer page, but if you have a site you prefer, you may use that one as well.
I will then spreadsheetify your decks and match you up. I will use an RNG to decide which cards you draw and who may choose who begins. Players then play their turns as normal, with one exception: if an instant is cast to interrupt a spell, time will be rewinded to when that spell was on the stack. This will be tricky and might take some goodwill from the players to do properly, but it's the only way I can see instant spells being used properly in a text-based medium.

How's that sound like to you guys?

(P.S. as an aside, I'm fairly well versed with the rules of MTG, so if someone has any questions about them, feel free to ask)

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:30 pm

CAL doubts she can use her old deck.

What with all those Tempest cards and all...

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:22 pm

Is there a specific format we should be constructing decks for?

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Not really. No cards that require players perform a physical action, or cards that would be tricky to play when opponents aren't sitting across each other in the same room. Other than that, standard rules apply: minimum of 60 cards. No more than four of the same card in a deck, exception being basic lands.
Next

Return to Planeswalker Stadium